Sunday, September 23, 2012

Nice try, but...

     So I have this kid this year who really does not like to tell his mom when he gets into trouble; he's not a bad kid, just your typical third-grader who occasionally cuts up a little and has it noted in his take-home folder.  So, he was in trouble twice this week, and after the first day, he scribbled over the note in his folder and gave himself a happy face.  Day two, I write another note, and explain that if it is not signed, I will be calling home.
      He comes to school the next day, and I don't get around to checking folders until right before time to leave, and when I look at his folder, the note has been cut off of his calendar.  I call him over and explain that as soon as I'm done with dismissal, I will call mom.
    Tears begin, and he tells me that he cut off the paper so he could show mom, really, he did.  I say, then it won't be a problem when I call; she'll already know about it.
    Kid:  "No, wait, Ms. Haines.  I didn't really tell her.  But you see (tears streaming down his face and a catch in his throat), I did it for you.  I really wanted to earn five dollars so I could get you a present because I love you."

I called home anyway.  No word yet on whether I'll be getting my gift.  : )



No comments:

Post a Comment